Friday 13 July 2012

How to keep parishioners awake

112arcabas jpg

One of my favorite books of all time is the superb Roots of Christian Mysticism, from which I would like to share a couple of quotes with you over the coming weeks. The book as a whole is a joy to read and the quotes you will find here are among my absolute favorites - they are a list I compiled for one of my best friends, who is also the most sincere agnostic I have ever met. So, here comes the first one:
Some elders came to see Abba Poemen to ask him,
"If we see some brothers dozing in the congregation,
do you want us to reprove them so that they stay awake?"
He said to them, "For my part, when I see a brother dozing,
I lay his head on my lap and let him rest."

Sayings of the Desert Fathers
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment